We had another long weekend, Monday being a national holiday (Waitangi Day), and it was overcast with strong easterly winds all weekend. On Sunday I felt like going for a fish but we are having high tides in the mornings and late afternoons at the moment. I prefer an outgoing tide early in the morning and most spots I have fished from the rocks over here are not (easily) accessible on foot and around the high tide mark. The east coast was out of the question due to a meter and a half swell and strong easterly winds, it seemed quiet on the Tryphena side however.
I pondered about going to the Cape Barrier or to Johnson’s Bay but was not sure how exposed those places would be on easterlies changing to south-easterlies. I thought, the light house in Tryphena should be well sheltered and – by now it was already 1200 o’clock – if I hurried a bit I could fish a couple of hours of the incoming tide and walk back to the wharf before high tide. This was the plan, I packed my gear, got some bait at the shop, talked for a couple of minutes and drove down to the wharf. I arrived at the ‘light house’ after 30 minutes of walking with Iranium following me. Well, note to myself, this spot is not sheltered from strong easterlies, they roll over the hills in Tryphena and standing on the rocks you feel an offshore wind coming from the east. Thus, I went around the point expecting some shelter. It wasn’t all that sheltered over there either, but it wasn’t too bad.
I started the fishing session with tidying up a mess left by previous fishermen. Really a disgrace to leave your bait and burley bags and meter long traces behind!
Iranium, or short Rani the dog, feels still a bit lost on the rocks. Sometimes she follows me without hesitation and problems, sometimes she doesn’t want to get her paw wet in a rock pool. This time she liked getting down to the ledge and I really wasn’t keen on having to go and get her, but she settled down after a while and by that time I had deployed some berley. I mixed up some pig pellets (pig tucker) with saltwater and a bit of tuna oil from The Warehouse.
The berley did its work quite fast, had a whole pilchard taken on the surface by a kahawai after 5 minutes or so. Brought the fish in and while grabbing the leader I managed to rip the hook out of the mouth and the fish was back in the water and off and away. Hmmm, usually where there is one kahawai, there are others. But it took another 20 minutes to hook the next one and after catching and releasing a few more I tried getting the bait down deep and catching a snapper. But didn’t get any significant bites or takes both on pilchards and fresh kahawai fillets. By three o’clock I was starting to pack in, I had enough to eat, the wind had picked up and the tide was halfway in.
I’m still eating some of the fish and will have some for lunch tomorrow. Iranium is starting to get smart with her food too, she doesn’t eat as if there were no tomorrow, so I can give her the fish frames and she takes her time eating them without hurting herself.