We experienced quite difficult and unproductive fishing last Sunday on the East Coast. Well, the fish were certainly there somewhere, but we just didn’t hook them. We had an early start, had squid and pilchards for bait and a bag of burley. I had my kingi gear and the plan was to arrest a couple snapper and have a go at targeting her majesty.
However, I made a crucial mistake when looking at the water and the beach from the road, high up and a couple kilometres away. It seemed calm, there was no swell and I couldn’t even feel a breeze; but the signs were there. I saw the wind on the water and still decided to go to the southern side of the bay. Well, by the time we were at the point of no return, the wind picked up and we had about 15 knots, gusting 25 knots on our side. The other side would have offered great shelter from this wind…
The wind was hauling and made casting difficult, but there are more challenges when fishing with a side-on wind:
- the bait doesn’t sink as naturally because the force of the wind picks up the slack line and drags on it
- you can’t see what is going on in the water in front of you
- due to the dragging of line, which also creates more slack line, you can’t feel the nibbles and bites of fish
- live-baiting becomes tricky as well
- the wind doesn’t stop, even when you swear at it
We managed to land small kahawai and I sent one out under a balloon, but, once again, there was a crayfish trap deployed by the commercial, local cray-fisherman right in front of the ledge. I wonder how he manages to find the spots I fish and put his craypots right there.
Anyway, after an hour of no action on the ‘livie’ and realising that I won’t catch a good snapper today, I walked about a bit with the live-bait and sent it out with the wind. The poor fish swam strongly against the current and wind and held a good position, but nothing happened. I just watched it for an hour before giving up.
There is not much more share, we took six small kahawai and had a feed on them.
So yeah, still gutted I made that wrong decision and will have to wait a couple weeks until there is a low tide in the morning. Hopefully, the east coast will be fishable – no swell – and I’ll have another go.